Hackney operates the SHINE (Seasonal Health Interventions Network) programme to help those living in fuel poverty. The programme covers a wide range of services; help is available in the home, but they can also provide financial services, health advice and general support interventions. For a full list of the services available, including eligibility criteria, please see below.
Hackney Homes are also currently working in partnership with Climate Energy to advise council tenants on how to save money and stay warm- please see below for a list of the measures available.
Hackney also offer External Works Grants of up to £5,000, to help owner occupiers make their properties weathertight, and a Warmth and Security grant to landlords to improve the energy efficiency and security of privately rented homes. A mobile repair service is also available.
Borough website: http://www.hackney.gov.uk
SHINE will accept referrals on behalf of any vulnerable resident, but the following groups are considered particularly important:
- Those aged 75+
- Those with respiratory diseases
- Those with cardiovascular disease
- Low income families with children u5
SHINE offers help in the following areas:
- In the home (including advice on energy bills and keeping warm, telecare, handyperson service, private sector and housing support, heating and condensation surveys)
- Financial (including benefit checks, advice and assistance with gas, electricity and water debt)
- Health (including medication reviews, flu jabs, falls assessments and air pollution alerts for vulnerable individuals)
- General support interventions (including befriending, Older Peoples’ Support Service, vulnerable utility customer register)
External Works Grant
Up to £5,000 is available in External Works Grant to owner occupiers for works to the exterior of a house or flat, which will make it weathertight.
Works may include:
- Roof repairs or renewal
- Work to guttering, rainwater pipes or brickwork
Private Sector Housing
0208 356 4866
Hackney Homes and Climate Energy
Hackney Homes are working in partnership with Climate Energy to advise council tenants on how to save money and stay warm. Measures include:
A free home visit, offering independent advice on how to reduce fuel bills
Installation of free water saving measures that can help to reduce energy and water bills
Information on special discounted fuel tariffs for elderly people on certain benefits
Details of grants to help with fuel debt for people who owe money to their fuel supplier
0800 980 9270
Mobile Repair Service
Work with disadvantaged and socially excluded sections of the community to identify technical solutions and provide
innovative services to support individuals, their family carers and care workers.
0207 272 3102
Warmth and Security Grant (WSG)
A grant of up to £6,000 is available to landlords for works needed to improve the energy efficiency and security of privately rented homes.
Works may include:
- Loft insulation
- Pipe and tank lagging
- Boiler replacement
- Fitting thermostatic radiator valves
Contact SHINE for further information
Foodbanks in Hackney
Hackney Foodbank has several distribution centres within the borough – please see the website for addresses, opening times and eligibility criteria.
For a full list of services available in Hackney by tenure, please see the borough pdf below.