Better Homes, Better Health
Hounslow council has a one stop service that provides a range of help and advice to Hounslow residents wanting to improve their homes, keep warm and save money on energy bills. Working alongside the council’s Home Improvement Service and Hounslow’s Citizens Advice Bureau, the Better Homes – Better Health hub aims to provide help to households who are struggling to make their homes warm and safe.
The service aims to promote wellbeing and reduce incidences of ill-health during winter through home visits by trained energy advisors. A single referral to the scheme will provide access to a range of support and advice, including:
- Energy efficiency measures– we can fit for free; draught proofing, reflective radiator panels and energy monitors. Where possible we will refer people for home improvements such as insulation and boiler upgrades
- 1-2-1 advice on energy saving and switching tariffs
- Help and support with claiming benefits related to energy coststhat the household might qualify for. An example is the Warm Homes Discount (£140 off electricity bills)
- Assistance with gas, electricity and water debt
- Connections to other services– we can register older and disabled residents with their energy companies’ Priority Services Register, make referrals for fire safety and benefit checks and also help eligible residents with repairs through the Handyperson Service
- Residents will also be able to receive a free “Stay Warm Pack”
For more information and to make a referral please visit: http://www.hounslow.gov.uk/betterhomesbetterhealth
Borough website: http://www.hounslow.gov.uk
There are several foodbanks and drop in centres operating in Hounslow. You can find out more about locations, times and referrals on the council website.
Available to all residents in the London Borough of Hounslow, that meet one of the following criteria:
- Over 70 years old
- A single parent family with a disabled child
- Living with a disability or severe health problem which prevents them from carrying out the work themselves
Can help with a wide range of small repair jobs, including small energy efficiency measures.
0208 583 3878
Supporting People programme
Funds a range of supported housing and other housing related support services. Including:
Conditions may apply- contact the Supporting People Team for further information
0208 583 2402/ 3923
Care and Repair service
An advisory and support service to help disabled and older owner-occupiers (and some private sector tenants) repair, improve and adapt their homes.
To be eligible, the person must be a resident in the London Borough of Hounslow, and meet one of the following criteria:
- They are 70+
- They have a disability or severe health problems
- They are from a single parent family with a disabled child
0208 583 3878
For a list of the services available in Hounslow by tenure, please see the borough pdf below.